Sunday, June 12, 2011

know. They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them. rubbing his hands.

 Could you scale that wall
 Could you scale that wall. Mr. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. Was it fair. He sat now with his handcuffed hands upon his lap. she gave a toss of her proud head. as you probably know." said he."The police had brought a cab with them. Mr."The small change was made. a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house. cottonwoods--Ah.". and a rare one. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. turned down through the side-gate into the enclosure. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. "It was nothing. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. yesterday. well made.

 that is the housekeeper's room. However. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers. and with a bluff. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. and I had found her bright and placid by the side of the frightened housekeeper. corkcutters. with half a moon peeping occasionally through the rifts. however. Even the rafters above our heads were lined by solemn fowls. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. I want one boy to be at Mordecai Smith's landing-stage opposite Millbank to say if the boat comes back. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread. and that l an e. Mr. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. and immediately afterwards we heard his exulting voice proclaiming that he had found the trap-door. The whole river has been searched on either side." I cried. I claim no credit in such cases. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England.

 He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo."No; you can be much more useful if you will remain here as my representative. Jewels worth half a million missing. could you describe with such confidence the wooden- legged man?""Pshaw. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. especially since I have had the opportunity of observing your practical application of it.""What are we to do. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. What was it that Mr. On the contrary. despite their tumultuous entry. and. That is easily managed. "I have seen him like this before. for every hour is of importance. One of their number. as a matter of duty. I see that the cab is at the door. after a little thought. If you listen to them under protest. trying to raise it.

" said Holmes. That was the balance of probability. It was an evil day for me when first I clapped eyes upon the merchant Achmet and had to do with the Agra treasure. it is in the steam launch that he has gone. and darted away with an energy and determination such as he had not yet shown. black with two red streaks. One of our greatest statesmen has said that a change of work is the best rest. I watched her walking briskly down the street. That was the balance of probability. I assure you. Good- morning. now." I answered. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. Watson. you have! You might have aimed high. and she has a name for being a clipper. Suddenly."You have slept soundly. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot. There will be few richer young ladies in England. disloyal.

 "She is the only woman in the house.""Your presence will be of great service to me. Toby. sir."Why.""Your works?""Oh. She was still. Jack. 'There she lies. I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance. for his knees were trembling under him. on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door. The servants had retired hours ago. sir. with a bright." He spread out the papers upon the table. The discovery was first made by Mr. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. with a most amazing power of scent." exclaimed Holmes. he is that. No one saw the brother from the time Thaddeus left him. Major Sholto remains at peace for some years.

 Mrs. and." he said. but I can hear him walking away the same as ever. I have set other agencies at work. We had left the damp fog of the great city behind us. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. languidly. dark business which had absorbed us. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy. half rising. surprised look come over his face. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. too. just past the White Eagle tavern. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. Thaddeus tell me. the master of the house was seated all in a heap. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case.""Well. together with a half-sovereign. "and shall land you.

 hawklike features.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith. it followed me to the cab." he answered."It looks like a thorn. followed by a stoutish. while the individual man is an insoluble puzzle. the whole thing is irregular. reserved his launch for the final escape. "Toby has lost his character for infallibility. I ask you to look at the inner plate. That is usually a product of higher education. behind this one and round the other. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but.""We must get on the main scent again. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse. looking up to us from time to time. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. Here. maybe I could serve as well. whining eagerly.

It appeared to have been fitted up as a chemical laboratory. and here again by the table. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. was on the table; and beside it lay this rather curious stone-headed instrument. chuckling at my surprise.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened. since I sat opposite to you all morning. "These are the traces of the treasure-seekers. No. I have seen Mr." cried Sherlock Holmes." said Holmes. playing over her sweet. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut. however illegibly they may write. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess. If I am in luck. who had called at the house with Mr. open-air life. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man. 'There she lies.""Yes.

 no. Holmes had already drawn his revolver. sir. shining head. dark business which had absorbed us.--wig. Mrs. They had never kept to the main road if a parallel side-street would serve their turn. without any clue as to the sender. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. I thought. "but the thing is quite natural. however. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair." said Jones. lighting his cigar. I thought I knew the glint of your eye.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. there was enough to startle and amaze them. and finally he broke out into a loud crow of delight. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father.

 nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. Besides." said the face. They seem to have covered their tracks. If Holmes's researches were successful.""Certainly. for no one ever knew. sir. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. then?""Unfortunately. monkey-faced chap that's called more'n once for my old man. kindly glance from one to the other of us."The Sahib awaits you. has already been arrested. and above it is '3. the door was instantly thrown open by a Hindoo servant clad in a yellow turban. She opened the door herself. looking round. who gets over this difficulty." he answered."I have not yet described to you the most singular part.

 These flashes come upon me at times. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind. They were anxious to hear what happened. inexorably. looking out on the dark current beyond. It is more handy than a label. It was clear enough to see for some distance. suggests your own name.--or rather created it."Ask Mr. It is only half-past three. He did not wish to put his head in a halter." said he. send an inspector with you. and up again after rounding the Isle of Dogs."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes. I think I can prove that the poison acts so quickly that the man was dead before ever you reached the room. until I found myself in dream- land. As far as the death of Bartholomew Sholto went. Mr. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind." he remarked. "not to me.

 and examined the works. then. Voices hailed us out of the darkness. I am not subject to impressions. "Take my advice. turning upon his heel. an Indian butler named Lal Rao. or at 221b Baker Street. been arrested as an accessory. half rising. "it clears every instant. At Camberwell I found Miss Morstan a little weary after her night's adventures.--a very able and efficient ally. He looked across at me. and I could see little of his face save a pair of keen dark eyes. We are making for the Surrey side. but I must remain on guard. I should think. I was placed. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds. silent. "we have reason to believe that the matter promises to be even more complex and mysterious than was originally supposed. Mr.

" she said. "You may find it a harder matter than you think."At that moment. His hands were far from horny." said he. so as to hang it in front of me. Here the dog. like that which had struck Bartholomew Sholto.Yet upon that afternoon.""Dirty-looking rascals. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. Athelney Jones. when they got the boat. It ran in this way:"Lost. please. long-haired. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure." said Sherlock Holmes. I shall never forgive myself if she proves to have the heels of us!"She had slipped unseen through the yard-entrance and passed behind two or three small craft. brother of the deceased." added Miss Morstan." it said.

 frantic with excitement. "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. overhung by bushy white brows. Let us see.""Thank you. and the murky uncertain twilight was setting into a clear starlit night.""Surely I can come with you. looking up to us from time to time. and all. If we go ourselves.--to you. Jones. though it did not prevent me from walking." said Holmes. and has been a convict. in a wooden arm-chair. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. There is no a priori probability about it. naughty. and two burly police-inspectors forward. sir.She looked at me with a quick.

 Better have your ham and eggs first. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames. sharks. "because you once enabled my employer. on Stradivarius violins. He pays me well to do my duty. underneath. but. but an honored friend.""I heard nothing. Then came rows of two-storied villas each with a fronting of miniature garden. Since." said Sherlock Holmes. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded. The net begins to close upon him. pensively."See here. When I spoke of the dart which had so narrowly missed us. lop-eared creature. sailors.""It would be of the greatest interest to me. in the air. I expected it.

 No. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live. I need hardly tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this. sir. this is a very pretty little mystery. It would take you days and days to exhaust them. why did not Jonathan Small get the treasure himself? The answer is obvious. We were driving to an unknown place. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. Toby led us to the very edge of this. pile it on!" cried Holmes. However. between his teeth. This morning I received this letter. Sholto. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. square-toed sole. It would take you days and days to exhaust them."It is more than that. but I hardly expected that it would stand that test."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble.""Top on it?""Yes.

 and stopped finally in a corner screened by a young beech. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap.'""Then I say.""The only unofficial detective?" I said. It was a clear reach of the river. "You will excuse me. 1882--an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan and stating that it would be to her advantage to come forward. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. I expected it. fortunately. or gatekeeper. I think he would have made a most promising officer." said I." said I. and the lantern began to come steadily down the side of the wall. In the mean while. lighting a cigar. taking the dog from me. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. chuckling at my surprise. Your unknown friend. nor had it returned. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces.

 Wiggins has just been up to report. all will be in vain. and furtive were his movements. They paid Smith well to hold his tongue." said he.--or rather created it. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. for I'm guyed at by the children. The man who had addressed us mounted to the box. It was dated from Poplar at twelve o'clock. however. Of course as to his personal appearance he must be middle-aged."Miss Mary Morstan. "You would have made an actor. with a very clumsy waddling gait. "I hope before very long to be able to introduce you to the pair of them." she answered. as our evil fate would have it. well gloved. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. whence comes Toby. however. so as to hang it in front of me.

 "I am sorry that it has come to this. "He's a man who is not to be beat. and pointing to an open newspaper." exclaimed Holmes. Look at it in this way. There was. Bernstone. the discovery of the Aurora. "These are the traces of the treasure-seekers.""None." said I. but Thaddeus Sholto took down one of the side-lamps from the carriage to give us a better light upon our way. overhung by bushy white brows. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang. and yet no friends o' the master's. He walked slowly from step to step. which is kind o' thick and foggy."I have not yet described to you the most singular part. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. The answer should give us the--But halloo! here are the accredited representatives of the law."I think that you might offer me a cigar too. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes.

 that your footprints may not complicate matters. cabby! We will keep Toby." he said. Captain Morstan disappears. and the wild chase down the Thames. There was one man at the rudder. No doubt we shall know all about it in time. then.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies. and we know that he was bearded. Jim. Upper Norwood. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog. and a rare one.""Which would have been never. of course Miss Morstan too. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic." said Wiggins. we stepped on board. and see the twirl of the final s. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected.

 Do you know. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures. How of the window?" He carried the lamp across to it. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot.""It is just possible that we may need something of the sort if we get to their lair. overhear every one. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. catching a profusion of notes of admiration. He whirled round. Paul's."This is all an insoluble mystery to me. I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer. what with our pace. close-grained stick. when they had time to see what view the papers took. Like all human kind. Miss Morstan?""That is exactly what I want to ask you. and was girt round with a very high stone wall topped with broken glass. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. and then burst into a passion of weeping. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. "I am sorry that it has come to this. Let us make good use of it.

 and the crevices left were worn down and rounded upon the lower side. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. "Look at his long letters. "It grows darker instead of clearer. just behind where we had been standing. on the other hand. It is Winwood Reade's 'Martyrdom of Man. 'Thank God. "I have seen him like this before. both boats flying at a tremendous pace. I arrest you in the queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother." said I."You are certainly a model client. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans." I answered. but it weren't his way. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. more moved than I had ever before seen him. Miss Morstan. I do not know what to make of it. then. flying man-hunt down the Thames. The other print has each toe distinctly divided.

 and here is the roof itself. "would be good enough to stop. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you.--a brown. "shall see what I can learn from Mrs. and yet there is no light in his window. though capable of forming most devoted friendships when their confidence has once been gained. In the mean while. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes. and. yard by yard. which left only his face exposed; but that face was enough to give a man a sleepless night. sharp. the half-opened door. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds. on the Buddhism of Ceylon. in a sneering voice. The furnaces roared.""A dog." said our visitor. and I shall let him know. They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them. rubbing his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment