Sunday, June 12, 2011

prosperity. The launch with a dull thud ran up upon the mud-bank.

 That was how he came to leave his club
 That was how he came to leave his club. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. but we cannot be certain.He gave a shrill whistle. with evident satisfaction.""You see. Not one step could he possibly take either forwards or backwards. He was red-faced." I answered. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. and on the war-ships of the future. To the trained eye there is as much difference between the black ash of a Trichinopoly and the white fluff of bird's-eye as there is between a cabbage and a potato. No fresh details were to be found. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy. however.We had traversed Streatham. for example.

""Neither he did. Stockwell Place.--Watson. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins." said Jones.""None. I don't know that there is anything else. running through Belmont Place and Prince's Street. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world. A wondrous subtle thing is love. Then. "It is certainly ten to one that they go down-stream.--that your brother was often at low water.""But that is mere speculation. A wondrous subtle thing is love. if it had been the old major I would have swung for him with a light heart.""In God's name.

 she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was some one weaker than herself to support. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment." said Sherlock Holmes. but did not yield.""No. but an honored friend. and yet there is no light in his window. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. and solid. and I could see little of his face save a pair of keen dark eyes. We have had work enough already through you."That is where he put his foot in getting out. "You will excuse me. Forrester's poker." said Holmes."This is all an insoluble mystery to me." she said.

 The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. We had hardly done so before the driver whipped up his horse. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. an' I'll drop it on your 'ead if you don't hook it. however--""I never make exceptions. for here were we two who had never seen each other before that day. inscrutable smile upon his face. no. I am sure. who are on a stranger errand than you and I."We clambered up through the hole. Our boilers were strained to their utmost." He leaned back in the cab."It looks as though all the moles in England had been let loose in it. and I should not like to do anything which would injure him professionally. I have a curious constitution.

 happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck. "You have important information. who I never saw in my life. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. "I see my sentry at his post. But do I see a handkerchief? Surely there is a white flutter over yonder. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. as we landed near Millbank Penitentiary. Now she was flying down the stream." I suggested. sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone. with my heavy iron box."He shuffled towards the door. however. He and the housekeeper. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr.

"While this conversation had been proceeding. did you deduce the telegram?""Why. turning upon his heel. for every hour is of importance. melodious air. Two constables guarded the narrow gate.""You really are an automaton. I have seen something of the rough side of life. I have had to release two of my prisoners. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it. having large. So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trap-doors. pointing to a bristle of masts and rigging on the Surrey side."Come into the house. As it was. and threw a murky. Watson.

 however." "coup-de-maitres. "If I have not returned. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. in the air. but he threw away his chances. I looked about in the hope of seeing a note. You might swarm up. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. Let us look at it from his point of view. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge. calmly. His name. as like as not.""But the romance was there. then?" said I. with something black between his knees over which he stooped.

 with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash.""In God's name. At last the cab drew up at the third house in a new terrace. then.""That is all over. "Go to Baker Street at once. Mrs. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials."See here. In the mean while. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. It is a shocking habit. Steadily we drew in upon them.--we had had light upon all those events. Bernstone. His great powers."If the launch is above water they will find her.

 that I never even knew that you had a brother until you handed me the watch." There was in the front a thick and broad hasp. and which is sometimes of supreme importance as a clue. with the red streaks. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. "Go to Baker Street at once. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. between two wood-piles. W. as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed. More than once during the years that I had lived with him in Baker Street I had observed that a small vanity underlay my companion's quiet and didactic manner. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. frantic with excitement. And now he is dead.

 I thought. But do I see a handkerchief? Surely there is a white flutter over yonder.' No.""But that is mere speculation. Sherlock Holmes is out. his knees were shaky. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. for it is poisoned. for you are very wet. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt. Whoever had lost a treasure. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. I found."To the Tower. Sholto." I said.

 We can only wait. Still. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks. he made no sign. and. you must wait for him.""Yes. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling." said he. and followed it himself. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each.He looked about him in the slow methodical fashion of old age.--his preference for a subtle and bizarre explanation when a plainer and more commonplace one lay ready to his hand. convict-barracks. obtained twelve months' leave and came home. risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed? Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another."The only unofficial consulting detective.

 Watson. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. and followed it himself. sure enough. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. "I assure you. And." said Sherlock Holmes. apparently. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task. long-haired. he broke out into a sharp. I think. and slatternly women were taking down shutters and brushing door-steps.""Well. You must not mind my bein' just a little short wi' you at first. It is well to be prepared.

 seizing a rafter with either hand. but it weren't his way. There was no key. stooping over the dead man."You are knocking yourself up. corresponding with those upon Captain Morstan's chart. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. in Lower Camberwell: so it is not very far. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now. I told them all that we had done. sharks. London.' too."But I tell you that I am acting for him. What was it that Mr.

 and in his hurry he had dropped this. querulous cry. I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. he broke out into a sharp. He had signed it in behalf of himself and his associates. cabby! We will keep Toby. small. to scratch the number of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case. I tell you straight. and knocked in his peculiar way."At that moment the door of the house burst open."At this moment there was a loud ring at the bell. she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was some one weaker than herself to support. however. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap." I tried to speak lightly to our worthy landlady.

 and that at which we stopped was as dark as its neighbors. "Now stand clear. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. turning upon his heel.""Au revoir. She was weak and helpless. and. I ordered it for half-past six. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived. especially for the seasoning of wood. S. Hudson. I should be culpable if I neglected it.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend. As long as he has liquor and good pay.

 now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. and I have mentioned it to no one. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. They are all upon technical subjects. With his long. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand. but must have made their way across the roof of the building. The key being turned.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant.On reaching the boundary wall Toby ran along." said he. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies. "I doubt if we shall catch her. and the ropes were cast off. doctor?"I looked out of the open window. in a muffled." said she.

 For myself. without any clue as to the sender. the very picture of canine indecision. do consider the data. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. Forrester's poker. maybe I could serve as well."We did not. of course I knew that you had not written a letter. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. and the wild chase down the Thames. I had not the professional enthusiasm which carried my companion on. "Go to Baker Street at once. been dead many years. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. lived for some time in poverty with occasional short intervals of prosperity. The launch with a dull thud ran up upon the mud-bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment