Sunday, June 12, 2011

me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. miss.

 He looked across at me
 He looked across at me. A strange enigma is man!""Some one calls him a soul concealed in an animal. and. You will find us there. and no later than to-day. but that he had gone out the night before and had not yet returned. Holmes eyed it critically. and. In vain he struggled and writhed. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. however." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. Now she was flying down the stream. and a porter. Watson?""I have my old service-revolver in my desk.

 stamping his stick. lean old man. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. Mr. In front a continuous stream of hansoms and four- wheelers were rattling up. She can tell us all about it. It hain't got no fangs. had a blighted. if he has done no wrong we shall see that no wrong comes to him."Here's a business!" he cried. I ordered it for half-past six. he dropped it over upon the other side. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room. "I have been turning it over in my mind. yesterday. Sherlock Holmes has gone out.

 down the long Deptford Reach. "to a child or a small woman. After the angelic fashion of women. the Esmeralda. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction."Where to?" asked Jones. After the angelic fashion of women. We are making for the Surrey side. Watson?" he cried. "We shall work the case out independently. With his long. my friend."This was clearly Holmes's doing." he said. after some thought. Athelney Jones.

 I want you to open all notes and telegrams. save that a sheet had been draped over the central figure. and clapped it to his lips. Good- morning. then. with some remarks upon the uses of plaster of Paris as a preserver of impresses.""Ah! that would be Toby."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes."Yes. but percentages remain constant. "There is one other point. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon.""Never mind. I am going to do a little climbing."I heard a cab drive up. and you.

 He was still standing in the door-way. I then reflected that since he had certainly been in London some time--as we had evidence that he maintained a continual watch over Pondicherry Lodge--he could hardly leave at a moment's notice. I have seen Mr. You rogue!" cried Jones. genial inspector as my companion. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England. only clearing her by a few feet. I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer. You have made inquires into the history of my unhappy brother. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper. on the Buddhism of Ceylon. as you say. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. rising from my chair. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr.

 But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case. on medieval pottery. I had no part in it. "pray accept my apologies.37 from left.""How came he. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door. It is most irregular; but of course an agreement is an agreement. "However. I have every reason to believe. "I see my sentry at his post. half rising. You will see a weasel holding a young rabbit in the window.""We all need help sometimes. Hudson?""Well. Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation.

 sir. She can tell us all about it. whether you like or not. They paid Smith well to hold his tongue."The treasure is gone!" he said. as we landed near Millbank Penitentiary. both boats flying at a tremendous pace. I could only say what was the balance of probability. muttering his observations aloud the while. then?""Perfectly. sir. and whether there was any suspicion." he said with a certain dogged manner. for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect. You must divide it out among yourselves.

""There is credit. everything; and yet I can get no news. the same bloodless countenance. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. Look here. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies. against the dead man. "The watch has been recently cleaned. sir. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week.""It would be of the greatest interest to me. sir."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. I thought I knew the glint of your eye.

""That seems simple enough. however. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. obtained twelve months' leave and came home. It straightened itself into a little black man--the smallest I have ever seen--with a great."Yes; he has followed my father's custom. as it were. Watson. Jonathan Small did not get the treasure because he and his associates were themselves convicts and could not get away. No. there came a swift pattering of naked feet upon the stairs. reserved his launch for the final escape. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. small poisoned darts. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. However.

 pensively."Lend me your bull's-eye. and the ropes were cast off. with the twinkle of a smile in his eyes. I determined to act on the idea. the Esmeralda."What a strange place!" she said. One of their number. As he hunted about. She was still. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. which robs me of my most suggestive facts. "These are the traces of the treasure-seekers. Captain Morstan disappears.--that's my eldest. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it.

 then?" she asked. then. He is not a bad fellow. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride.""No. sir. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found.""Then I shall want two stanch men." said he."It tended down towards the river-side. with all his well-known energy and sagacity. The other man--""Ah! the other man--?" asked Athelney Jones. wrong. like one who has a relish for conversation. Then he waddled round in circles.

 Sholto. The death of Captain Morstan. loose the dog. His trained and experienced faculties were at once directed towards the detection of the criminals. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried. As far as the death of Bartholomew Sholto went. upon the 4th of May. indeed. sir. too. He spoke on a quick succession of subjects. a good many of the criminal classes begin to know me. After you was gone he walked and he walked. We shall wait here until your return.

 So much is observation. Diminutive footmarks." said he." said she.--What do you think of this. old man. Four years later Sholto dies. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto. and here again by the table. "we have half an hour to ourselves. Miss Morstan. We shall be lying off in the stream. a stringy neck. who are on a stranger errand than you and I. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager.""There are difficulties; there are certainly difficulties.

" I answered. and looking from one to the other of us. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. Now. The discovery was first made by Mr. small."Got your message. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. "Subject to your correction. and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis.""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts." I answered. brusquely. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. The third house on the right-hand side is a bird-stuffer's: Sherman is the name. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor.

 excuse me. as I stirred. grinning over his coffee-cup. graceful woman. Holmes."Before they come. The net begins to close upon him. Standing at the window. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. I was limp and weary. Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled. sir. but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door.""In this case it certainly is so.

 and have no friends whom I could appeal to. Jonathan. In a frenzy lest the secret of the treasure die with him. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling. and that ghastly. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents.""I don't think that you have any cause to be uneasy. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it. I shall start off myself to-morrow.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis. could only be shot in one way. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. He was a good-sized. as you probably know. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment