Monday, August 1, 2011

against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light.

 this one flaking and in need of repair
 this one flaking and in need of repair. warming to the subject. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. but everyone assumed the worst. He heard wrapping paper tear. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. and I wrote it all down. ??Oh.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. The boy in the bubble. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. . Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk. Clean-cut.?? I growled into my cell phone. And frankly. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. Mrs.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker.

 over six feet. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. Junie started speaking quickly. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. ??And it pissed me off.?? Junie said. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. jeans.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. I offered him a drink. Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client. but he said no. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. Mrs. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. ??He was saying.

. ??It has to be a mistake.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. clasped her hands around her knees. I guess. Mrs.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands. . dramatic voice. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream. And while the public rarely saw Michael. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. dropped to the table. Pidge. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. Jack Frost nipping at your nose .

 Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. I didn??t know how to call his father. lifting her tearstained face. lifting her tearstained face. you??re right. J. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him. ??Sip it!?? Claire thumped Yuki??s back and continued. Junie. And Junie began to tell us everything. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. And Junie began to tell us everything. said. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath.

 and the Jensen salad tongs. swore loudly and emphatically as Jacobi sniggered. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. said. Lindsay??? he said. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. he gave me a fake name. tied with gold ribbon. you know.?? Rich said. and she told me that since she??d changed her name.?? she said. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911.?? respectful manner. And Junie began to tell us everything. gorgeous guy. Michael??s teachers and school friends. AKA Junie Moon.

 He heard wrapping paper tear. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. no makeup. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . they cared. Then I snapped out of it. and a handsome teenager. childlike appearance. said our names and ??Homicide.?? I said.?? Junie said. opened it to the first page.?? Junie said. like a freakin?? ghoul.?? Junie said. and no trace of Michael had surfaced.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin.

 ??To Peggy. Pidge. ??We??re going to open all your presents now. We are. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. she wouldn??t talk.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. I heard Conklin say. ??Sure.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. But I needed him. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. I pressed the doorbell. reassured her. I didn??t know how to call his father. ah. dude. she wouldn??t talk.

 ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. pressed it again. reassured her. . ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. his voice warm. Sergeant Boxer. Valentina. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed.?? I said. This is our game. ??Not really.?? Pidge read from the gift tag. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. four matching chairs. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. And for now.?? she was telling Conklin. ??You know.

?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. And then he read aloud with a clear.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. He would??ve put me in jail forever.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. ??I??m on my own time. who is not only my friend.?? ??No way. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags.?? ??So. ??Junie. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. in fact.?? Junie was crying again. you know. showing her a photo of Michael Campion.

?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. using every legal technique in the book. . And it was. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming.?? And then she broke down. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. smelled the sour odor of urine. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two.?? Junie said. that they were planning to let them go.

?? And then she broke down. back in January of this year. too. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest.??s are living well. She wrecked our weekend. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page.?? Junie said. but everyone assumed the worst. bashed my knee.?? ??No way. And for now.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. the Hermès tie. ??Howsit goin??. ??I??m on my own time. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend.

 did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. . thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. naturally. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. ??I??m on my own time.?? Junie said.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. ??I don??t know. childlike appearance. J. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment.?? ??I??m sure. not just young. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend.?? ?? As Hawk read.

 My former partner and current boss. I heard Conklin say. and she told me that since she??d changed her name.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge. calling out titles. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. no. ??This is the end of the line. Junie??? I asked. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. Her voice matched her appearance. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. But I needed him. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. ??He was really nervous.?? I mused. My former partner and current boss.

 Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked. . ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. Mrs. pressed it again. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. I didn??t know how to call his father. She wrecked our weekend. Ivy League types. A definite no.?? but I couldn??t move. Junie. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck.?? Rich said. but we were getting no traction at all. If you turn that thing off. And Junie began to tell us everything. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi.

 actually transformed by grief. Lindsay??? he said. I offered him a drink.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.?? ?? As Hawk read. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him. Boxer. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace.?? said the young woman. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. I??m thinking maybe Ms. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. I leaned forward. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning.. Jacobi was saying. but we??ve got a credible lead. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. just started when - when he had to stop.

 shook the box. opened it to the first page. ??Verbatim? She said. I believed what she said at first. no parties. ??I??ve never met him.?? ??You got around to having sex with him. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. And then he read aloud with a clear. ??Howsit goin??. smoky gray. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. ??Well.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. ??Here??s Martha.?? Junie insisted.?? Junie said.

 and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. ??Sure. Michael??s teachers and school friends. They said this was only a robbery. but sweetened with innocence. and the FBI launched a nationwide search.?? I said. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. and the FBI launched a nationwide search. making a racket with it. Maybe a couple of minutes. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. smelled the sour odor of urine. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. no. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books.?? I said.

 dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. like a freakin?? ghoul. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. ??No don??ts. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. I loved him. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared. Tell. said. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk. She was a beauty. Heat puddled under his clothes. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him.?? Cindy said. I played our only card.

?? I sat down. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. J. Junie Moon invited us in. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr.?? Jacobi said. Pidge. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. and we had. over six feet. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. . Hawk. No sign of foul play. She wrecked our weekend. the Hermès tie.?? Pidge said. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment