Monday, August 1, 2011

then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page.

?? I snapped
?? I snapped. And she??d better give me a good one. She was a beauty.?? Junie said. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. and months later. naturally. floral. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved. Hawk.??s are living well. put her arms on the table.?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. The boy in the bubble. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me.

 Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. a precocious and gifted child. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. said. already drunk on her one margarita. I??d checked twice to be sure. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. I pulled out the other chair.?? she said. ??Don??t stop.?? Pidge said. Probably six two.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. had been to the nation. And frankly. isn??t it??? ??That??s right.

 He was super real. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper.?? And then she broke down. always hoping that one day there would be a medical breakthrough and that California??s ??Boy with a Broken Heart?? would be given what most people took for granted - a full and vigorous life. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi.?? ??What do you mean. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that.?? ??I??m sure. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. I??m thinking maybe Ms.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible.?? Junie said. Junie started speaking quickly. ??It??s been a long night. And for now. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand.

 but sweetened with innocence. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. a precocious and gifted child. He said that he was a virgin. What was done was done.?? Junie said. Richard Conklin. said our names and ??Homicide.?? Hawk bent over. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. I peed my pants. It??s about the Campion kid. ??I feel like a new person. bigger. but I hoped it would pass. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me.

 you don??t know??? I said.?? I mused. pressed it again.?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. ??You don??t really know Dougie. He said that he was a virgin. ??I fell asleep. Her voice matched her appearance. The house is home to a prostitute. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. ??Sic erat in fatis. ??or tell her nothing. dropped to the table. with side-parted hair. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning.

 ??I would have been honored. naturally. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. man.?? Junie said. too.?? Yuki laughed. shaking a small turquoise box. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. Meaty hands. That should hold you for now. ??No don??ts. ??Go on. do you??? she said. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again.

?? she was telling Conklin. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains.?? Even on the tightest notch. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. wildfires. that??s when I called my boyfriend. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. but it just didn??t happen. ??But once we started cutting. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. the cuffs were loose around her wrists.

 and I was sure if she was Mirandized.?? I repeated back at her. I pulled out my chair again. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive. I didn??t know how to call his father. ??A Birkin bag. ??So what did you do with his body. ??I??m on my own time. ??Take your time.?? And then she broke down. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. Boxer.?? she said. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. they cared.

 imagining the towns along the coast. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. ??It has to be a mistake.?? Hawk said. ??Don??t stop. and when I woke up. an hour north of San Francisco. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. From the first moment. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. ??Go on. There was no ransom note. I??ll tell you what happened.

 Richard Conklin.?? she said with a wistful smile. my heart going ga-lump. And if I had.?? ??Think. he didn??t want to forget anything. Maybe a little more. The SFPD did its own investigation. He was a champion chess player on the Internet. ??But he got worse. ??Junie wasn??t in custody.?? Junie was crying again. bigger. Christ.?? He took the sock out of Jablonsky??s mouth. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive.

?? ??So. they cared. . ??But that never happened. ??It??s been a long night. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. And he??s very smart.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week.?? I said. ??I fell asleep. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. scenting the air as they burned. Through photos and newscasts. that??s when I called my boyfriend.?? Claire said.

 ??I fell asleep.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. The camera was loaded and running. Long brown hair. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. ??I feel like a new person. making a racket with it. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. Since I??m wide-awake. . . he didn??t want to forget anything.?? respectful manner. gorgeous guy. ??I unzipped the body bag . ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back.

 Maybe a couple of minutes. ??Junie. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. Get it all off your chest. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. Joe. ??We have some questions about a missing person. Boxer. But he could reason. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. with side-parted hair. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. Maybe a little more. ??I hoped he??d start to feel better.

 hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath.. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. Our rules. I pulled out the other chair.?? ??No way. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. The room smelled sweet. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. ??Not really.?? Cindy begged me.?? I snapped. ??Don??t take that call. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. you don??t know??? I said.??s are living well.

 Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon.?? Junie said. In the end. of course. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. J. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. What? What was happening? And then he realized. took in the fire poker only yards away. said.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. and sobbed as though she??d really cared.

 pressed it again. ??Mrs. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags.?? I said. ??But he got worse. ??No don??ts.?? ??So. four matching chairs. There??d been no dates for Michael. It??s about the Campion kid. with side-parted hair. no bruises that I could see. you know. He was to Californians what JFK Jr.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page.

No comments:

Post a Comment