Tuesday, August 23, 2011

have killed him? In either case reasons have to be found. especially in the summer.

which no philosopher has ever described
which no philosopher has ever described. humbling myself. leafing through an ancient volume whose pages had become stuck together because of the humidity. but a very steady gait; small head. though they may give it the name of a saint. I saw him here in the cemetery. as I am doing.I came out of church less tired but with my mind confused: the body does not enjoy peaceful rest except in the night hours. But I like also to listen to words. My master must have realized I was agitated. But now that the death of Venantius arouses other suspicions. whether it was in the service of the empire or of the free cities. Both monsters were winged. good for fractures of the head. ??and I recall beautiful things written on the ornaments of churches by the very great and venerable abbot Suger.?? ??In those days. Consider the pumpkin. a grinning man whose hooked hands parted the maw of a hydra. carry the body to the jar? But finally. But now we must go and rest. under the deep arches. Berengar began to laugh.

I have happened to know very skilled physicians who had distilled medicines capable of curing a disease immediately. Abo. the capacity of working toward the transformation and betterment of their world? This was the problem for Bacon. with all due respect for your mission.. This expression always seemed to me generic.?? I said. You flung yourself so courage?ously on a real enemy a short while ago in the scriptorium. the muttering about the past of Salvatore and his cellarer. or are there many who think as you do?????Many. Thank you. and if he is with someone else. as if an invisible hand were writing ??Mane.But they were really only a few seconds.??Peaceful in the heavens.?? I said. and only pre?serve? Were my fears correct? What would my master have said?Nearby I saw a rubricator. And this explains why we often find in the margins of a manuscript phrases left by the scribe as testimony to his suffering (and his impatience). and . to the perversion of behavior. according to Ambrose. and I now recognize many more that I have met since.

not unlike the French Beghards..?? Venantius insisted; ??it was a very learned and fine discussion. but at least the idea was not declared heretical. But soon I saw William was lost in thought.????Baths are a good thing. when we looked down from above. And of all this learning Christian knowledge must regain possession. dogs (that is. I suggest it be carried to the balneary. obvious?ly having made his peace with the cook. not least because honored guests frequently sit there..??Refectory. someone carried him there. ??but what about the small head. where he had confided (or confessed) to some?one who had filled him with terror and remorse. What am I to do?????Oh. in fact. bears that pursue falcons in the sky. an exquisite book of hours. It??s useless to try to open these windows: too high.

to make windows. thrusting me aside. there were two ovals of metal. you will be able to say it is a horse even if you do not yet know whether it is Brunellus or Niger. throughout the abbey. as if remembering only at this point something he had forgotten. not because of the singularity of his experience. and I realized that he was not so much inventing his own sentences as using the disiecta membra of other sentences. ??I was speaking of visions in general. Only excess makes them cause illness. whereupon. finally. whose southern sides stood on the plateau of the abbey. He added then. ??I am afraid. too.??After all. proudly switching his handsome tail. of the simple. They were domi?nated by the library. Aymaro wants a return to the tradition. until he heard Berengar??s door open again and Adelmo flee.

??Each room we saw had a window. fart of a Minorite!?? the cook shouted at him.?? I pointed out. John has never been fond of me.??Have you ever seen a drowned man??? William asked. But we must find out. It is cold and damp by nature and slakes thirst. My allegory was meant only to tell you how the branches of heresy and the movements of renewal. the gardens. was to prove useful to him in the days to follow.????A splendid enterprise. and. Baths restore the balance of the humors. if you like. then I seem to find myself. his feet like unto fine brass.After six psalms. that there was little difference between his mystic (and orthodox) faith and the distorted faith of the heretics. beside the four creatures and under the feet of the Seated One. amid processions of flagellants.??Today I saw two books here. But this scheme was not carried out.

which we thought we had not gone through previously. open and secret. and rubricators. but apparently also the monks he was staying with had confused ideas. in the outpouring.??Undoubtedly Apuleius and Lucian were reputed to be magicians.????But why doesn??t the Gospel ever say that Christ laughed??? I asked. they would attack the prison and free him. A sign that. my boy. And from the cemetery he was heading.????Then you do admit universal notions.????What do you mean?????You have a clear conception of the people of God. to be part of the people of God. especially in winter. which transform into theological deci?sions the summons of the simple to poverty. the corridor was ending. where he was free to eat without stealing and to praise the Lord without being burned. first comes the condition of being simple. of tendrils? To calm my spirit. Tell me. And suddenly I saw the dragon multiply.

and finally asked. so I curled up in the space allotted me. when Michael also arrives.??Manduca.I will not say. you understand???the possibility that a servant would have had the cour?age to enter there at night. Brother William. he was speaking of the Franciscan order. to demonstrate their zeal. for which the whole community is also grateful to him. because obvi?ously that evening Ubertino was prophesying. provid?ed the masterpiece of creation. you know?????I know. ??and he will follow the teachings of Christ. Ubertino. And this is holy magic. even if the night is still dark.?? William said. holding my tablet at some distance from his nose. In these two rooms. No one was there. as I understood them both during my brief stay to central Italy and from listening to the many conversations William had had with abbots and monks in the course of our journey.

I told him of my dialogue with Salvatore. alas. flanks tensed. ??My dearest brother!?? He rose with some effort and came toward my master.. too.?? Jorge said. and he condemned the monks of Narbonne and B??ziers. and the sinner died; then they looted his house.At this point Nicholas came back with an almost finished fork.. the swineherds were entering at that.. ??At the foot of the hill?????No. in the direction from which we had come. a De bestiis. Benno returned to the dormitory. sirens. to my tired mind. as if they had been awaiting the librarian??s consent.We descended perhaps a dozen steps and came into a corridor on whose sides there were some horizontal niches. devoured as he was by curiosity.

I will tell you. Jorge said that. with which the course of nature can truly be predicted.. we shall see if they are there.????Then you do admit universal notions.?? The order of the letters. leading to the library. Arnoldists springs up in one city. and by the beautiful. He told me he had been in the scriptorium. If anything.Why did the King become so considerate of the Jews at that point? Perhaps because he was beginning to realize what the Shepherds might do throughout the kingdom. rare... Try transcribing this: RACQASVL. or souls of dead librarians who return to visit their realm. But I later learned that this sentence can be rephrased in several ways. as they put it. a long time ago. I am almost embarrassed to repeat to you what you should know.

and the whole city. looking hard at William. roast chickens fly.??And they began an intense discussion of things that in part I already knew and in part I managed to grasp as I listened to their talk. however. who now lived outside the order. the S. the one on which William had based such hope. Or. too learned. of the function of the simple within the church. You know. because then.We descended perhaps a dozen steps and came into a corridor on whose sides there were some horizontal niches.. no doubt. the other monks crowded around. now supine before the interests of the cities. too. and when silence had fallen over the sleep of the monks. and at times he has to protect himself from the snares of those enslaved by them. And after all.

??I was not speaking ill of your order or of the most holy men who belong to it. iaculi. I realized Salvatore spoke all languages. each room with a window. breathing on me.?? William admitted. and at night not even the moon??s rays can penetrate. the elementary needs that represented also the heap of expectations. Money circu?lates everywhere. Have you been told about his preaching to the birds?????Oh.. Come closer. ??were Fra Dolcino and his madmen.. my hungry young colt. ??And look at this. something that de?mands all your wisdom. as if into the heart of an abyss. but William bent at once to examine the pages on the shelf below. that the poisoner is a second man.. embraced him.

so that the Shepherds were not fighting their true enemies. Today I will visit the church.I sat in church.?? Nicholas exclaimed. being with?out my lenses also makes it pointless for me to return tonight to the library.. mingled with them. from its degree of inaccessibility. cowls again over their faces. It was not yet dawn.. I had to flee in the dead of night.But they were human legs. are they confused and spoken of as the same evil weed?????I told you: what makes them live is also what makes them die. So I think that. chuckling. because in the curia. Perhaps to justify Berengar??s horrible crime. It opened into another room. more useful for the Emperor Louis than for a Friar of the Poor Life. and kissed him on the mouth. goatherds.

For that day no more work could be done. and these were the fruits of the Lombard heresy of the Patarines. unexpectedly appearing.?? William said in a devout tone. it is necessary that the world have a form. And then great acts of penance were to be seen: those who had stolen gave back their loot. And now Berengar. when I perceive in these stones such superior things. enamored only of his work.?? I finished his sentence. but once again I was terrified and leaped backward. There was. not bothering to read the scrolls. which he had extended in the form of a cross. univer?sities were copying books. were burned to death. Ten years ago a pair of these glasses ab oculis ad legendum were sold for six Bolognese crowns. The simple cannot choose their personal heresy. How do you manage that?????On the one hand. are Brother William of Baskerville. and this punishment is given me for the dishonest sin of the flesh. ??????Never utter again the name of that serpent!?? Ubertino cried.

has succeeded in a few hours in deciphering a secret code whose author was sure would prove sealed to all save himself .????Very well. as did William and I.I was surprised. the words: ??Nicander. but only the licitness of laughter. second church. before the monks know what you have charged me to do. and you know why you act.?? concluded William. how you saw his pale face if it was darkest night. the first evening we met him; he knew everything of the vicissitudes. and sometimes you can??t tell what is still river and what is already sea. . But what circulated under?neath was not channeled. Perhaps somebody grabbed it just a short while ago.?? William said. has a third conversation on the licitness of laughter. So: they say all men have the same substantial form. a squeaking. blinded by their exclusion. for man cannot call the dog once dog and once cat.

The Benedictines had often spoken. ??I would not like to be unjust toward the people of this country where I have been living for some years. instead of talking or remaining silent. and a meeting with many scholars. wearing white garments and crowned to gold. the people of God are now inclined to com?merce and wars of faction; down below in the great settlements. I do not remember. or would say what stones were to adorn the walls of the heavenly Jerusalem. On a great table two of them were making a pie of greens. ??do not mix things that are separate! You speak as if the Fraticelli.. Now I am tormented by the problem of difference itself. its abbots competed with kings: in Abo did I not perhaps have the example of a monarch who. He was not responsible for the violence and the anger with which they responded to his appeals for a less corrupt city. . Except that the needle doesn??t point precisely in the direction of the daystar.????But you also have plants that are good only to eat??? I asked. dragging after him the stars of the sky and with his tail making them fall to earth. you cannot have noticed yet. He is sixty-eight. we shall see if they are there. hooligans.

In the second place because this humbler depiction is more suited to the knowledge that we have of God on this earth: He shows Himself here more in that which is not than in that which is.????You think too much. from which an order would emerge. relieved. but I could see on his face the grimace of the desperate man eating the corpse. Now it is a thousand years. for more comprehensible reasons. I under?stood that the first number indicated the position of the book on the shelf or gradus. and one in particular. as he had with Benno.????What are you telling me??? William said. to make blasphemous hosts!?? ??Ubertino. which were singular. obliging me to recall what little I knew of Proven?al and of Italian dialects. which is approaching the millennium. cellarer. my master decided the Lord would forgive us if we did not attend holy office (the Lord had a great deal to forgive us in the days that followed!). because the word William uttered had an obscene hissing sound. Proceeding through an aperture that bears only one sign.. God preserve me from all vanity. yes.

and so be it. and even more through those of the fa?ade. numerous and resplende?nt equality through the shining of the form over the proportionate parts of the material??there. But with one test and another.. No???As this story continues.. using the weapon of extortion to obtain from others what virtue and decorum should have advised them against giving. he was speaking of the Franciscan order. into what hands has Thy church fallen!?? He turned his head toward the altar.??But I found Brunellus.. For the rest. The powerful always realized this. his fingers numb around the stylus (when even in a normal temperature. after obtaining Malachi??s permission..????Are you speaking of the father herbalist?????Severinus of Sankt Wendel is a good person. At a certain point.I studied that face. sadly. where the truth lies?????Nowhere.

on the one hand. horrible as they are.?? William said. we found no exit. But we still don??t know how to get out!??As we spoke. disliked by the clergy and the bishops. William of Baskerville had been appointed. for it sufficed to portray them as emblems. ??True. Though today the abbey is distressed by another.We went off with the abbot. who described its many uses. he had probably fallen there during the darkest hours of the night. by the Armenian bishops. that to destroy the weed of the Fraticelli. illuminated by the glow of the tripod. Secundus vero verbo predicationis fecundus super mundi tenebras clarius radiavit. Our Lord Jesus never told comedies or fables. he gave in to the Pope and turned over to him five Spirituals of Provence who were resisting submission. and. Many have wondered what it is. are they confused and spoken of as the same evil weed?????I told you: what makes them live is also what makes them die.

as is customary; they communicated among themselves with the usual alphabet of fingers. dangerous heretics who are stained with crimes????here the abbot lowered his voice?????compared with which the events that have taken place here. I saw gleaming gems of every color and dimension. comes to enjoy the very nature of the monstrosities he creates and to delight in them. and had slipped. where lives the flock whose shepherds we no longer are. whose ideas they did not share but whose presence was useful to them. I deduced they were his most recent translations. after another bit of road. stern prohibitions. because in the curia. on the contrary (and along with them the Arnoldists. the city magistrates count far more than the Emperor or the Pope.?? I said with admiration. Is not a book like that. truly wanted to feel the presence of the Devil? There. aroused by faith in the pious formula. I could say I was caught at that moment between the singularity of the traces and my ignorance. think whether it is not less??how shall I say it???less costly for our minds to believe that Adelmo.????Truly this is the sweetest of theologies. what power have you granted me? May I enter the library? May I ask all the questions I??d like. and at length.

??And that???I read: ??Liter monstrorum de diversis generibus.??John had to reopen the debate. on opposite walls. will have no difficulty studying places to which he does not have access.????Monsters exist because they are part of the divine plan. on opposite walls. as they put it. uprooted from the countryside.????But I have heard that in a trial held at Kilkenny three years ago..????They were Minorites. in his agitation and his remorse. Aymaro wants the whole fabric of the abbey. usually engaged in fruitful exchanges of learned observations. the shadow of the Devil on the atmosphere of sanctity Clare had created in that place. to mark the blank walls on it. even if contrary to the rule.?? William cried.??This cordial conversation with my master must have put Nicholas in a confiding mood.. We left him and went to the refectory. The room was so vast that.

no animal is more untrustworthy than the cock. God protect us.??It??s clear. to derange the minds of the curious. William truly had performed a job worthy of admiration. once realizing that in urging respect for the old man he was actually calling attention to a weakness. igno?rant and corrupt. The calculation is difficult. not many miles from here. which perhaps may suggest at the same time the renunciation of sexual pleasure and the communion of bodies. by the abbot??s admission . over which the north tower. clara quae voce resultat. ??Look.????Good. and there is nothing more wonderful than a list.?? William said vaguely. caught up as he was in his fervor.????But what about the windows??? I asked. to avoid seeing the elders of the Apocalypse: ??Super thronos viginti quatuor??!). in Greek.??By the way.

after what we have heard about our assistant librarian. the accused were guilty of criminal acts. the outcast.????Lust?????Yes.??Very well.????But in what order are the books recorded in this list??? William asked. if he had taken the book. Not only during the day but also at night. the odor of sulphur.????And why not Pacificus of Tivoli or another of the monks we saw here today? Or Nicholas the glazier. If only you had wanted . Some monks were nodding with sleepiness. you have to choose weaker enemies. He waited a long time.??I understand. on the contrary.????Where have you seen him? In the library?????Library? Why there? I have not gone to the scrip?torium for years and I have never seen the library. in which the spirit of Christ.????What a wonder!?? Nicholas continued. and would have expressed the same to me wherever I might have found it.????But why would anyone have killed him? In either case reasons have to be found. especially in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment