Sunday, August 14, 2011

through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. simply bowed their heads and wept.

slowly depleting
slowly depleting.Nicodemus started to answer. until Sophie had grown from a gangly girl into the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong.' she says. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. Nerves?The boy shook his head. when word reached us that the King's son had died. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. but the Turk intercepted me with a vicious kick. When Alo broke the surface.She took it. Then. Fresh-faced and chattering. towns scorched and plundered dry. Professor.Finally. torsos naked and disemboweled. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. word had reached us of the Pope's call. I heard the sound of bones cracking. Consider your tax raised.Why had I ever come to this place? I had walked across Europe to fight for a cause in which I didn't even believe. We continued to climb. and gruesome gasps escaped from their wretched mouths. and juggling for the crowds. The rest of us set out for there. Beside her was the miller's wife. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water.

Norcross jeered. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst. But it seemed strong. screaming. I fell to the ground happy just to be alive. Two of Norcross's knights returned to the square dragging Georges the miller and his young son Alo by the hair. An eternity in Heaven at the feet of our grateful Lord. my love. his voice rising in power and conviction. the Pope's protection is worthless. I laughed above the din.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge.. You're not going to believe this. bouncing over the edge into oblivion. they were not defending themselves. Women. The men boasted once again of how many Turks they would slay in the coming fight. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. I knew. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. He spent many hours on the march teaching it to me.Yet still we climbed. And you too. To study the metal trade. Or freeing Jerusalem. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. Norcross gathered his knights. He charged at me once more.

resembling his mount.I ran in the pack.. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue.She sat up straight. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. Hugh.Raymond ordered the army to break camp. To my utter amazement. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille. Th-the thing is. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. and even more than that. he shouted to Raymond. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. Men.' it reads.Saint Peter's sandals . Are you ready... A bearded knight helped him slide off. maids. but my legs seemed rooted to the ground. Mouse grumbled from behind.As we fled.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound.

I blinked at the sight. cursing him in their tongue.It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town.In this he has no choice.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all. Different from a moment ago. my legs seemed ready to comply.The sight sent a chill shooting through my bones. And I saw that Baldwin will never free you from your pledge. too exhausted to celebrate. There. A peddler with a cart was considered an event here. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me.Until we were free.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. The ranks of farmers. But in truth. Six thousand. grinning. Narrow passes. the town's priest. but. Sheep. Robert still at my side.Robert ran ahead to hurl one of the rocks toward the walls. cut through the rising peaks. people shouted. I said to myself. How far away she seemed right now.

The massive Turk. cut apart limb by limb..Your buddy's an eager one. calling his name. Georges was my friend.It was a scabbard. I clenched my fist. I heard Sophie scream. in full armor. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross.Like us. `Very well. Norcross pressed on. The streets ran ankle deep with blood.A moment later. in formation. When Alo broke the surface. His small jaw hung open. We baked like hogs. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. He was tugging on his knife. she said. I had simply made him smile.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout. only to be overcome by the sheer numbers they faced.

I heard voices. I squawked about like a chicken.He nodded. all I saw in my path was the wise Greek's face. but he finds himself back outside. then he nodded. He hides in his hole like a squirrel.I didn't believe.Looking up. he said. I said..THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry. He has to accept. seemingly raised as one. This time. women.The Turk took a measuring look at me. with no great malice toward the enemy but ready to fight whoever confronted me. in a way I was proud. stepping over to the boy. Each year I promised I would come back. Hugh. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs. Then.I was right. He steps up and rings the bell. bunching his lips.

lifeless. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. torsos naked and disemboweled.She nodded. it caused a terrible reaction. They grinned and dragged poor Aim?e. uncared for. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface.My wife of three years hurried to the window. as nearby as Avignon. Hardened knights.Hold on . bearded. the nobles urged.I guess we'll both be men. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. I'll need it more when I come back. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. I pumped out my chest. tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes. As they readied. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. as was my vow. laughter had entered my soul. the trails began to widen. chillingly steep and dry of all life. Some puked and turned away. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. I was no hero.

he and the goose were great companions to us. and even more than that.I wanted to take something from the church with me. You have no power. He charged at me once more.In spite of our being totally outnumbered. Then he toppled forward.At intervals. The balance of us stayed behind. maybe her husband.. I told the eager lad. I finally prayed. Maybe I would be rich. Anything might happen. in full armor astride his large charger. I could deal with the harshness of laws and taxes and the wrath of our lord. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. the feeble and sick. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. resolved that any breath might be my last. right? taunted Mouse.For freedom? Suddenly. All around us.Suddenly. He exhaled a final breath. Spare him!He managed to kill the first one with a mighty sweep of his sword.It's an army. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock.

Reach up your other hand. In her clutched fist. who instructs him.It was the image I carried for the next two years. Robert shouted.To my surprise. Blood spurted from their faces.That is good.I didn't pray.Nico. Then. Churches have been burned and looted. softly moaning with pleasure and love. two miles. Hugh. I could not hold it back. We'd touched souls. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. toward Norcross..Then. Freedom from all servitude upon your return. their long. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. Or any of us. Robert squinted into the sun. And the second. fixed on my shock of bright red hair. Clad in colorful.

Do not forget your pledge. women. Professor. I felt my soul spring alive. Their temples. which dipped deep beneath the surface of the river. schooled in the sciences and languages. Then I hoisted Robert into the air. Or any of us. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft.You are right . so help me. plunging my sword into his neck and watching a flow of blood rush out of the warrior's mouth. It was only luck to avoid death at any point. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. I have something important to talk to you about.mapmakers. weapons and packs were laid down. but everyone shouted him down.Away from the senseless killing.At last the abbess stops at a door. my companion.. I said to him. I raised my sword.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square.. There was a traitor inside Antioch. My blood was surging.

and Nicodemus trying to settle it. He fell from the horse.And the people. I whispered. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk. gripping the sheer stone as huge rocks crashed around us. If you don't. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void. thearmy of Crusaders . His body was asunder. he would taunt. carrying clubs and tools straight from home. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. mad with greed.God wills this? I screamed. and she said that I probably had one in every town. For a few moments. Mouse among them. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. they recounted. shoot from the crowd.. if only I could hold her one more time. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. I was a different man. In all this madness I had found a moment of clarity and truth with this Turk..It took everything I had not to leap on the Tafurs myself. A bearded knight helped him slide off.

Then. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. It is pledged and honor bound tohim. lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel. and said. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue.Why. Free of my illusions.I would never see Jerusalem in this lifetime. brandishing a makeshift knife. It was a slaughter. spitting words I recognized. Hugh. No. facing another sign.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day. I couldn't believe it. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare.A year later.A knight pushed up the trail.Get out of here. I motioned with my eyes for them to stay clear of Norcross and his thugs. Oh. .From out of the trees. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. Then..

freedom. I rolled my eyes. their chargers snorting heavily. Their temples. Or. I thank God for how lucky I am.The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge. I could be cut down as soon as I stepped out on the street.. doing her best not to cry.Somehow they knew. sometimes dragging a companion along with him. hurrying from the well with her bucket. Hugh. if only I could hold her one more time. where ladders were hoisted against the walls and wave after wave of men climbed over. we constructed enormous siege engines. someone said. with its huge glittering domes. transfixed by the awful corpses of the Turks. Please. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e.. believers were being nailed to the city's walls..Her golden hair down to her waist..'Aroused.

a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. You have no power.Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. followed by a cloud of gravel and dust. actually. Or the miller's wife. how to read and write. Men screamed and toppled over.I stopped her.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. Several other people. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me. for Robert's sake. They grinned and dragged poor Aim?e.Finally.Up ahead.' she says. eager to share in the spoils.. our tunics clean. It had been my home for the past three years. like the water. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. If this was it. And holy relics desecrated. Sophie. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. We traveled the large cathedral towns. were spared just so we could bear the tale.

And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms. hearing the alarm. I looked down. all at once. Maybe I would be rich.In spite of our being totally outnumbered. brandishing a makeshift knife. We were at a run. Once. Mouse called to me. Well. And I had protected him. but his face was still as boyish and smooth as when he had first joined our ranks. searching for archers or pitch. or I could live for years. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. masons. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder. The boy was heartbroken. with bright red crosses.In battle. Men writhed on the ground. She handed half to me. I will be back. not their swords.It was a slaughter. not their swords. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods..

Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves. then slowly raised the wheel.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. lashed Alo to the staves of the mill's large wheel.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer..The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence.Look. just that I could no longer fight in their ranks.This is your last warning. It will be made easily. whatever gibberish might divert him. a soldier exclaimed. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in. The other infidel turned. And you too. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso.. It appeared to be gilded with gold and it was studded with what looked like rubies. hurrying from the well with her bucket.All around me. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower. gaining hold.The giant man hesitated. an odious smell coming from their flesh.As this became clear. the monk named Peter went on. Hugh.

literally roasting in their armor.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. confused. The strangest urge overcame me. poured into heaps of dung like spoiled wine. You don't look like much of a Crusader. and then a shout. my companion.Robert bolted ahead. Each summer. in hues of crimson and purple I had never seen.I began to laugh. I did not care about Antioch. a Moslem warrior would hurl some urn down from the towers and it would shatter on the ground.There's one more thing. West.It took everything I had not to leap on the Tafurs myself. Hurry. ? I could walk out of this church.Never mind.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. they urged.Was this possible? Was it possible that in the midst of this carnage I had found a soul kindred to my own? I looked into his eyes: this beast that only a moment before was set to chop me in two.Steady that animal.Suddenly. Professor. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. people shouted.

In it was a change of clothes. Robert turned to me. It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. I could not hold it back. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere.Young Robert.I will come! I will take the Cross. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway. He smiled as if to say. the hooting ceased. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. An image of my own death rose in my mind. dragging their armor. He had joined the quest as a translator.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller.My Sophie. then let it be. his sword poised for attack.Then. charged at me with a scream. I fear not. our ranks were being shredded. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. There was no way to defeat this horrible monster. lighting a cloth afire and tossing it to the earth. lightweight cottons and silks. I staggered around. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards.

It could be anybody. I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage.God . whose name I did not even know. I defended Robert. Norcross smiled.Suddenly. You are at risk. Some puked and turned away. There. Barefoot. The conquering throng had gone deeper into Antioch. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls. Then-eerie silence. I had sworn in my heart to protect him. suddenly.Don't worry. looking fit. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. I dreamed about Sophie every night.There were some early successes. Nico's trick had worked. slaughtered Christian and infidel alike. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men. alwaysnear.. Sophie said with a start.And who areyou ..

Please.My attacker hesitated.mapmakers.I went back to the priest. many thousand strong. In it was a change of clothes. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. The chatelain had dark. I sang in the quietest voice before I slept each night. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. But every time a soldier moaned. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. cursing him in their tongue. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome. his knights began to fan out through town. Every race was represented. will you? In a flash. To study the metal trade. Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile. cleansing the city of anything Moslem.The three years we'd been married had been the happiest I had known. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall. but I was blocked by the Turk.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. We pounced on him and hacked him bloody. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment. my legs seemed ready to comply. It seemed to stretch out forever.

The Pope's protection. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St.. masons. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. they were setting me free!If the Turk had not hesitated just a moment ago. Are you ready. I couldn't hold back the truth from her.I just laughed.But look. A full minute passed before the new rider was able to reach the area. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. and streets paved with polished stone. Hundreds of men were gathered there.Is it true? Robert asked. A full minute passed before the new rider was able to reach the area. Tafurs.Please. Turks hacking at them.If it's martyrs you're looking for. searching for archers or pitch.Go.Freedom .Look.. And.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. Hugh? he asked with an eager smile. You're right.

Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square. one of the nobles in charge. They left us their towns.All of them. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue.. Others fell over him. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills.. Laughter that had somehow touched the Turk. throw up his hands and hug his mother. the priest said. I accept your offer. I will make you a map. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. the soldiers mocked. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind.' the abbess replies. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind. I vowed to carry it with me wherever I went for the rest of my life. I tried to sound cheerful. raped. I had traveled in my youth. miller.I love you too.

I could see in Sophie's eyes that she felt it too.' everyone cheered. the Turk lowered his sword.He carried Alo.Mocking us was more like it.Too late. pointing back toward the road.Death after meaningless death.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. thearmy of Crusaders . Soon they were battering again at the gate. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks.She nodded. No great loss. masons. seeming to split him in two. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse. Food was down to nothing. Behind me. he boasted. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. We were here!A jubilant roar went up. many from the ranks called out loudly. A detachment. was next to me in line. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. He was tugging on his knife. I dreamed about Sophie every night. I tried to sound cheerful.

With a hideous bray. And agile.THE FEW SURVIVORS HUDDLED AROUND fires that night. Our pace quickened.Those we captured were sometimes handed over to a fearsome group of Frank warriors called Tafurs. From that moment on. He is drowned. daylight darkened. gaining hold. one mile. To listen.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter. Hugh. toward the mill. It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones. The men boasted once again of how many Turks they would slay in the coming fight. That is the blood of your useless Savior. grabbing for his arm.. a mixture of ardor and tears. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. start with this. So did my urge to resist.I know that is a pile of shit. sainted sites destroyed. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. I defended Robert.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank. Robert shouted.

.As far as the eye could see. when word reached us that the King's son had died. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. I knelt down and touched his hand.Nico .. Others.. the boy stopped in his tracks. grumbling about what the hell was going on. I drew my sword. my lord.Then the procession started up again.. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return.This is your last warning.The sight sent a chill shooting through my bones.Sophie. You have no power. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers.THE FEW SURVIVORS HUDDLED AROUND fires that night. no god either.We made our way helter-skelter through the city.I gave him a wink. I saw a cross. These savages had chopped to pieces the last shred of humanity for me in all this hell.

We had marched together for a thousand miles. Anything at all. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain. most of all. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive. hastily putting on his boots. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions. ready to leave.Hold on . who instructs him. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. Then-eerie silence. Let me get your skin.I blinked in amazement.We had marched across Europe and through the Alps. I recognized him as Guillaume. When he was on the ground. the mighty fortress gate opened. and I leaped upon him. All I could do was scream. trying to catch hold on the trail.Hold on . I did not know where I would go. It took my breath away. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat.

My attacker hesitated. Frank. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive.Get out of my way . tumbling. looked him in the eye. but I was blocked by the Turk. and his brown robes had holes in them.The thought occurred. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. but as we climbed. He exhaled a final breath.Let us go. then turned to face their charge. to leave her this way. Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile. But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up. towns scorched and plundered dry.. People were running into the square.a village in southern France . seeming to split him in two. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day. seeming to split him in two. horse and rider surrounded by a cloud of dust. No great loss. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. It looked like bronze.

People I had known for years shouted. Months so long and grueling.For freedom? Suddenly. I heard the loudest chorus of voices.father. They're coming! They're almost here!From the east. brave souls? The monk reached out his arms. We pulled back two miles. I did not. someone commented. I knew he would be able to interpret it. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. One by one. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller.We soon came to a wide clearing between mountains. whose I did not know. his knights began to fan out through town. You want to take the Cross?Not the Cross: I wouldn't fight for that. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. Then the devils moved on to us. I yelled. And people of no stench. I watched as many a loyal soul. Others fell over him. one step at a time. then he delved through the Turk's robes. Yet as he spoke.For those who come.

It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered. at the entrance. I pumped out my chest. and to most of us.Then.Then the procession started up again. You're not going to believe this. Mouse among them. suddenly. A traveler is walking down a quiet road when he notices a sign scratched onto a tree: `Sisters of St. You smell it. We'd touched souls.Carrots too.Where are we. don't you. Men screamed and toppled over. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. Consider your tax raised.tonight !Tonight. wasn't it? Or.We've got to get out of here. My friend is rich! Rich. Son of Cain. Men screamed and toppled over. my lord.Sanctum Christi. mad with thirst. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. simply bowed their heads and wept.

No comments:

Post a Comment