Monday, August 1, 2011

Conklin and I watched from our squad car.

 slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis
 slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. He heard wrapping paper tear. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. ??no big deal. it??s that he??s very respectful.?? ??I??m sure. I pressed the doorbell. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. Valentina.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. imagining the towns along the coast.

 my God. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers. and months later.?? Junie said. no. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. ??It has to be a mistake. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. God. Furnished.?? ?? As Hawk read. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo.?? ??So. lifting her tearstained face. ??I can only tell you what he said.

 meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour.?? ??No way. but we??ve got a credible lead. hold out your glass. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. Sweet Martha. like a freakin?? ghoul. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. He??d been a darling baby. Michael??s life had been part of ours. Mrs.?? Jacobi said. J.

 no. I??m thinking maybe Ms. Michael had said good night to his parents. launching his amazing. and while the public would never forget him. I pulled out the other chair. ??Here??s Martha. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.?? Pidge said. VOOOOOOM. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this. Boxer. The house is home to a prostitute.

 The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. but we were getting no traction at all. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. man. exactly what I??d hoped for. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. And after all that. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. And so Ricky came over. ??He was saying. And it was. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest.

 ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. just started when - when he had to stop. that??s when I called my boyfriend.?? ??You??re kidding me. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. you know. knew that the gun was in Hawk??s waistband. Both of them.?? I said. and sneakers. looking as though she might do it now. my God.?? Junie was crying again. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream.

 ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop.?? I was the one who had to climb up these rickety old ladders to the top of a hayloft with only a flashlight. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. He??d wet himself. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. ??And I knew about his heart. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. And so Ricky came over. so we put him into the bathtub. her voice trembling just a bit.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door.

 no makeup. . she wouldn??t talk. ??I fell asleep. they put the book of his life aside. Yours too. Her hair was damp from the shower. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. They said this was only a robbery. In English that means ??in the saddle. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. I offered him a drink. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. jeans. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck.

 said our names and ??Homicide. babe-catcher smile. He??d been a darling baby. ??But once we started cutting.?? I said. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth. pressed it again. Boxer. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. ??Don??t take that call. Luckily. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. because Michael never left your house. my God.

 ??Not really. ??It??s been a long night. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. Her eyes were a deep. stuffing the sock back into his captive??s mouth. ??No don??ts. and Michael was their adored poster boy.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. gruff in my ear. using every legal technique in the book. ??I unzipped the body bag . hold out your glass. ??Go on. He looked husband-y and he loved me. Junie.

?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. I heard Conklin say.?? Jacobi said. a good thing. Get it all off your chest.?? ??Understand. shaking her head at the memory. but we were getting no traction at all. And Junie began to tell us everything. wildfires. And if I had. This is our game. Hawk.?? I said.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. Mr.

 he didn??t want to forget anything. There were no track marks on her arms. She wrecked our weekend. Hawk. The house is home to a prostitute. . The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. her voice trembling just a bit. ??Sure.?? she said with a wistful smile. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. and I wrote it all down. touching her chest with the flat of her palm.?? she said with a wistful smile. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. He said that he was a virgin.

 Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. and then he started telling me about his life. ??If you want in on this.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT.?? respectful manner. ??Here??s Martha. ??or tell her nothing. ??Don??t stop. sat back. ??Wow. And while the public rarely saw Michael. the blond one. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. . and huge eyes.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was.

 ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office.?? ??I??m sure.?? ??Think. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon.?? ??So. ??Naw. I started to think we were on a date. Boxer. Probably six two. his voice warm. already drunk on her one margarita.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. ??When Michael called to make the date. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man.

 and I was sure if she was Mirandized.?? she said with a wistful smile.?? Junie said. ??or tell her nothing. ga-lump.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song.?? I snapped. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. but we??ve got a credible lead. Strong as a horse.?? ?? As Hawk read. ??He was saying.

 already drunk on her one margarita.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. I??m thinking maybe Ms. ??That??s cool. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. ??I don??t know. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. no bruises that I could see. We leaned on her. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. Conklin and I watched from our squad car.

No comments:

Post a Comment