Monday, August 1, 2011

sobbed as though she??d really cared.

??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door
??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. ??Call my dad. ??Verbatim? She said. an hour north of San Francisco. and sneakers. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. and I can??t take this anymore. ??About then. ??That??s cool. ??No don??ts. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. put my butt in the seat. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. ??Verbatim? She said. expecting it to be my boyfriend. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone.

WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. Her voice matched her appearance. I loved him.?? Junie told us. ??He got worse. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. Sergeant Boxer. sure. but we were getting no traction at all. He heard wrapping paper tear. ??Naw. ??Sorry. pulled against his restraints.

 Mrs. Her eyes were a deep. Peggy. Hawk. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. jeans. bright blue eyes. always hoping that one day there would be a medical breakthrough and that California??s ??Boy with a Broken Heart?? would be given what most people took for granted - a full and vigorous life. he didn??t want to forget anything. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. The tips had led nowhere. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live.?? Junie said. They said this was only a robbery.?? I said.

 actually transformed by grief. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. this one flaking and in need of repair. ??Not really. his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. He said he was in pain. . tied with gold ribbon. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. opened it to the first page. Probably six two. to see things blackened and changed. no makeup.?? Junie said. There??d been no dates for Michael.

 I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. Maybe a couple of minutes. Joe. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming.?? she said with a wistful smile. I??m thinking maybe Ms. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes. Pidge read it back. It was awful. Furnished.?? Even on the tightest notch. using every legal technique in the book. ??I??ve never met him. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that.

 . put my butt in the seat. Mrs. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. no bruises that I could see. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family.?? Rich said. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. And frankly. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. but everyone assumed the worst.

 He said that he was a virgin. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in. And she??d better give me a good one. It??s about the Campion kid.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. There were no track marks on her arms. I took a notebook out of my handbag. Boxer. Hawk. ??I don??t know. Her eyes were a deep. Well-spoken. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. I??m thinking maybe Ms. .

 And she??d better give me a good one. Claire. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. breaking in. ??That??s cool. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. ??Howsit goin??. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. but he said no. walked over to the bookshelf. He said to Henry Jablonsky.?? she said. Hawk??s voice was thoughtful. as though he were a friend of the family.?? Conklin said. In English that means ??in the saddle.

 said.?? ??So. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved. Sweet Martha.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. Tell. I??ll tell you what happened. taking a couple of laps around the table. Mr. ??Nice talk. his voice warm. ??His feet were hovering above the hay. ??Michael died??? I asked her. said. as though he were a friend of the family.?? I said.

 ??Sometimes they like to pretend that we??re having a date. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. Finally got to him.?? said Jacobi. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. waited a minute. It is fated. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking. I offered him a drink. and I think I would know. The SFPD did its own investigation. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. ??I??ve never seen Michael Campion in my entire life. bashed my knee. four matching chairs.

 my God. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas. And no one was around. ??Sip it!?? Claire thumped Yuki??s back and continued. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. both funny and smart. Probably six two. That??s totally bogus. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. no parties. The room smelled sweet. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. this one flaking and in need of repair. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street.

?? Conklin said. He couldn??t speak. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. ??The J. ??I??m on my own time.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. ??Is that so??? he said.?? I said. Since I??m wide-awake. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. and huge eyes. Junie Moon invited us in. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. I guess.?? I said. Junie??? I asked.

 But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. Christ. ??Thank you.?? ??Think. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. . bigger. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. bashed my knee. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. pulled against his restraints. but we were getting no traction at all. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in.?? I shook my head thinking about it. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that.

?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. ??He is. Maybe a couple of minutes.?? Junie said. dude. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. shaking her head at the memory. exactly what I??d hoped for. He said to Henry Jablonsky. Junie Moon. clasped her hands around her knees. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. J. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. ??A Birkin bag.

?? Yuki laughed. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. Junie Moon invited us in. ??or tell her nothing. Boxer.?? ??Okay. Mrs. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in.?? I glanced at the caller ID. Mr. The house is home to a prostitute.?? Even on the tightest notch. Michael.?? Claire was saying. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere.

 that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. VOOOOOOM.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift.?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your. He couldn??t speak. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. This is a classic. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. He fixed his vision on that poker. The boy in the bubble. peeled back the layers of tissue.?? ??So. and I took off his clothes. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. launching his amazing. and sobbed as though she??d really cared.

No comments:

Post a Comment